Hammill Funeral Home has been serving the North Country since 1918.
Many people plan for life events such as weddings and vacations well in advance, but many people do not plan for something that is certain to happen, their funeral. While most people do not want to think about their own mortality, the time to pre-plan your funeral is now. The primary advantages of pre-arranging your funeral is to relieve the burden on your loved ones in an already emotional time, and to ensure your funeral is carried out according to your wishes, eliminating the task of second-guessing what you would have wanted. Taking the time now to arrange your funeral is one less thing your loved ones will need to worry about once you’ve passed. Pre-planning and pre-paying your funeral is one of the most thoughtful gifts you can give to your family.
Pre-paying your funeral reduces stress and financial burden on your loved ones after your passing. We can co-ordinate a payment plan that suits your needs, from a single payment plan to monthly bank account withdrawals. By pre-paying your funeral you eliminate your family second guessing on if they have spent too much or too little on your funeral. Pre-payment also protects you and your family from inflation.. If your funeral costs less than the amount you have put aside, those funds will be refunded back to your beneficiaries (1). For more information, simply speak to your funeral director. Each year thousands of people decide to pre-plan and pre-pay their funeral, these plans are designed to be flexible and can accommodate the many changes that often occur in people’s lives.
What you can do in advance…
- Decide on Burial or Cremation and your casket or urn type.
- Pick what type of service you want (religious, military, non-traditional)
- Choose your place of final disposition, ( cemetery, mausoleum, etc.).
- Designate your pallbearers, pick any music or readings you want at your service.
Benefits of Pre-Planning
- Between 70 and 75 decisions are made within the first 24-48 hours of death. It’s difficult to think rationally while making so many decisions within days of losing someone, pre-planning gives yourself, family and friends peace of mind. Pre-planning gives your loved ones direction of your wants and desires.
- It’s easy. Anyone can do it, and you can change your mind at any time.
- Any person applying for Medicaid/SSI can set aside funds for paying their funeral/burial expenses. Funds set aside for this purpose will not be counted as part of your financial resources.
People who love you will be there for you to the end. By making pre arrangements you make it easier on the people who love you. How will they cope with their loss? How will they know what you would have wanted?
Prearranging allows you to make all of your final arrangements - including payment -so that the people who love you won't have to. You don't have to worry how they will cope in the midst of their grief and can allow them to grieve without the burden of needing to make complicated, important decisions at the last minute.
We can lead you through this process. And then, it will be taken care of.
Call, write or stop in for more information.
Effective January 1, 1997, New York State law mandates that all contracts for prefunded funerals executed by applicants for or recipients of Medicaid be irrevocable.
Effective January 1, 2011, New York State law mandates that all contracts for prefunded funerals for family members executed by applicants for or recipients of Medicaid also be irrevocable.
(1) New York State law requires that any overage remaining in an irrevocable account after the selected funeral services and merchandise have been provided must be forwarded to the county where the decedent was residing at the time of death.