Hammill Funeral Home has been serving the North Country since 1918.
Our building The Union Block, was built around 1865 by Shaw & Sterns. Throughout the early years it housed different businesses including undertaking, furniture store, hardware store, soda fountain and carriage shop. The early funeral directors names have been difficult to come up with. One funeral director was Augustus G. Munson who operated the funeral home until 1916, then Horace Scott provided undertaking services and the funeral home became Hammill Funeral Home on March 12, 1918, when Michael T. Hammill took over. He operated the funeral home and furniture store, his reputation was known across the North Country. In the early years, wakes were held in the home not in the funeral home. Mr. Hammill was one of the first to establish a funeral home as we know of today. He remodeled the funeral home, in the 1930's, to accommodate families that needed a larger building. During the wake, families would remain at the funeral home all night, so Michael Hammill installed a full kitchen for families to bring in food and a full bath with a shower for them to use. On July 1,1946, Mr. Hammill retired and the funeral home was purchased by Robert P. Luther also know as "Bucky" and his wife, Gretchen. In 1955, New York State Department of Health, enacted a law prohibiting food and beverages in the funeral home, so the kitchen was removed. In 1982, Michael K. Goodman and his wife Patti, purchased the building from the Luther's, and continued to upgrade the building and incorporate new funeral technologies. In 2008, their daughter, Julia Goodman, after working as a licensed funeral director in Utica, moved back to assist in the family business.
Licensed funeral directors are Michael and Julia, office manager is Jonathan Goodman and president is Patti Goodman.